by Karl Kurtz
In the course of researching the "Pogo (or You or Anyone Else) for President in the News" posting below, I discovered a fascinating Wikipedia article, "List of Fictional Presidential Candidates," which includes more than 50 characters in movies, novels and cartoons who have run for president. I have picked out the following cartoon characters for you to choose the cartoon character you would most like to be president.
- Alfred E. Neuman of Mad Magazine, who has been running for president every four years since 1956.
- Bill the Cat from the comic strip Bloom County, who ran in 1984 and 1988.
- General Zod, one of the villains in Superman comics who has a campaign web site for president in 2008.
- Howard the Duck, who ran on the All Night Party ticket in 1976.
- Pogo Possum, who ran 1956-80.
- Uncle Duke of Doonesbury, who ran in 2000.
Vote early and vote often: