by Jo Anne Bourquard
Changes occur so frequently in the companies that monitor and analyze legislation in the 50 states that you almost need a scorecard to track the legislative trackers.
LexisNexis recently announced the purchase of State Net, a legislative and regulatory tracking service headquartered in Sacramento, California. State Net provides online access to the full text of regulations and legislation along with related legislative documents such as fiscal notes, committee reports and schedules and member biographies. State Net's legislative and regulatory content complements the extensive online resources of LexisNexis, which include the full text of state and federal statutes and case law, and a variety of legal, business, government and academic publications.
NCSL has partnered with State Net, a member of the NCSL Foundation for State Legislatures, to develop its 50-State+ Bill Information Service (BIS) , which provides the full text of state and federal legislation and related information to state legislatures through the NCSL web site. (Please note the NCSL BIS is available only to state legislators and legislative staff.)
In addition to State Net, there are several other companies that offer online access to the full text of legislation in the 50 states:
- Capitol Watch (formerly NetScan) provides access to legislation in all 50 states and in the US Congress and is one of many databases available through a leading legal information service, Westlaw. Like State Net, West's Capitol Watch provides email updates for users, customized reports and offers access to state and federal legislative history information, such as committee reports and schedules and fiscal notes. West is a member of NCSL's Foundation and has contributed to NCSL by providing access to Westlaw and supporting numerous legislative staff organization events.
- CQ StateTrack (formerly TrendTrack) is a 50- state legislative tracking service that offers custom email alerts, tailored bill reports and interactive map-based displays of states with legislation identified in searches. StateTrack is part of CQ's package of news & analysis, tracking, intelligence and advocacy services at the state and federal levels.
- StateScape also covers all 50 states, the federal government and hundreds of localities through its web-based legislative and regulatory monitoring service. Their legislative tracking system, LegisTrack, also offers the capability to identify, categorize and monitor and create customized reports on bills of interest. See StateScape comment below.
- Stateside Associates, another strong supporter of NCSL's Foundation, provides its clients an outlook on pending legislation of concern to them and develops and implements legislative advocacy programs.
- MultiState Associates offers 50-state advocacy services on state legislation and a legislative tracking service tailored to their clients' needs.
- Kimball Shermin Ellis provides political intelligence, trend analysis and lobbying services and has developed the KSE Focus monitoring service to track and filter legislation and regulations in all 50 states.
Other companies, such as the Legislative Information Service of America (LISA) (see the comment from LISA below) and National Online Legislative Associates (NOLA), also provide access to multi-state information, although not for all 50 states. And a variety of firms, too numerous to list, track legislation in individual states.
We know our list is not comprehensive. We welcome information and comments about other companies and services that track legislation in the 50 states.